No Fees till Your Case is Won
We can assist you, just give us a call now
Chico Injury Attorneys530-895-1234

Someone Else Saw My Car Accident – What Should I Do?

Posted on: February 13, 2021
Chico California Accident Attorney

After a car accident, things can quickly become confusing. This is especially true if you’ve been injured. If someone else saw the collision, their statement about what happened could be a significant piece of evidence in your case. Here’s what you should do if another person witnessed your motor vehicle accident. 

Talk to People On the Scene 

If there are witnesses at the scene of your car accident, ask them to recount their version of events. If you can, record or write it down. If there’s not enough time to do so at the scene, get their name and telephone number so you can get in touch with them later. What other people saw and heard can be highly valuable evidence in your car accident case. 

Tell the Police Who Respond to the Accident  

After a car accident, you or the other party will need to call the police, even if the accident wasn’t severe and no one was injured. Law enforcement officials need to document the collision, which includes speaking to you, the other driver, and anyone else who may have seen the accident. This information will usually end up in the police report, which you can ask for a copy of once the officer has completed their writeup. 

Ask for a Written Statement  

If you are able to locate witnesses, such as home or business owners nearby that may have seen the accident, ask them for a written statement. Or, you can record them. The statement must be given voluntarily and should clearly state the identity of the witness, the date the statement was obtained, and any other pertinent information. 

Once you’ve gotten a tangible copy of a witness statement, you can continue to use this throughout your car accident case instead of reapproaching the witness multiple times to recount their story. 

You may also want to ask if any home or business owners nearby may have gotten video footage of the accident, either with a doorbell camera or CCTV. Many home and business owners use video surveillance that may have captured the events of the collision. 

When to Call an Accident Lawyer 

If you or someone you love has been injured in a car accident, it’s crucial that you take fast action. Call Zink & Lenzi personal injury lawyers today to book your initial consultation to discuss your car accident case and what your next steps should be at 530-895-1234.

Posted by: admin

Comments are closed.