Motor vehicle accidents are complex, particularly when the person who is at fault for the accident isn’t clear. Having a credible witness who can testify to what happened before, during, and after the accident can strengthen your claim and make it more likely that your case will have a positive outcome. Here’s what makes a good accident witness and how to get help from an experienced California personal injury attorney after a car crash.
Qualities of a Good Accident Witness
If you are able to secure a good witness for your car accident case, this can give your case a significant edge. A good accident witness will have:
- No criminal record
- A demonstrably strong moral compass
- No relationship to you
- No mental health conditions that can impact their memory or ability to interpret a situation
- No substance abuse problems
Things That Affect the Credibility of Your Witness
Not all witnesses to your car accident may be good though. If you bring on a witness who isn’t credible or who says damning things about your case, it could cost you a settlement. Some qualities of a questionable witness include:
- Not seeing the entire accident or only witnessing a part of the accident
- Changing their story every time they tell it to someone new
- Being distracted during the accident, such as using their cell phone
- Being too young or too old to provide a cognizant testimony
- Being related to someone who was involved on either side of the accident
- Having a physical or mental condition that makes it difficult to remember things or give accurate details
- Having a financial investment in the outcome of the case
Insurance Companies Will Attack Witness Credibility
If you have a witness to the accident who is willing to testify to what they saw when the incident occurred, you should be prepared for the insurance company to attack their credibility. Even if you’re filing a claim with your own insurance company, they will likely still try to discredit your witness. This is so they can avoid paying out a claim, which is every insurer’s top priority. If too many claims are paid, they don’t make money.
Contact a Seasoned California Car Accident Attorney Today
Get help after a car accident by contacting an experienced California car accident lawyer. Zink & Lenzi Injury Lawyers are available now to take your call at 530-895-1234.